Burning oil

I have a '98 GLX with 60k and I'm burning oil.  No visible leaks that I can see,
but I'm definitely using oil (I use Valvoline 10w-40 synthetic blend).  This has
been happening for some time and I believe it is because the engine is running
hot, rather than from a leak.

My coolant level was low and I topped it off, but haven't need to since then.  My
oil and coolant gauges don't tell me I'm running hot, but the fan always kicks on
after I turn the engine off (but this may be normal) and if I pop the hood after
driving it, I have to back away from the heat.

I'm wondering if this is a cooling system problem or something else?  I would
think that my gauges would show that I'm running hot, but they don't.  Maybe a
stuck thermostat? (the coolant gauge has never gone above the center point).

Also, the car has had a loud squeaking noise almost from day one that sounds like
a belt, but I don't think it is.  I can't isolate where it is coming from, but it
doesn't sound like it's the belt.  The dealer never did anything when it was under
warranty because by the time I'd drive to the dealer, the noise had stopped (it
would go away after about 5-10 minutes of driving), but now it's there all the
time, and I'm past my 2 year warranty.  Not sure if this is related, because the
oil problem is more recent, maybe six months or so.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks,
jeff