engine light

Thanks for the help. I left the gas cap off one afternoon and the check
engine light came on. It did however go off, after i closed cap, drove
awhile & throughly checked the manuals for cause. It appeared to me that
being exhaust/catalytic related per manuals and the missing gas cap, seemed
to coincidental to be anything serious. All drove wellhowever, but
periodically it does come back on, then off, then on, then off. I did have
it reset at the dealer once, they really didn't offer any explaination, just
that it had been on. Any thoughts? Thanks terry