From: "Norberto luis" <vwnobby@norbertoluis.com>
To: <jettaglx@igtc.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2001 5:45 PM
Subject: Electronic Ingnition Switch?

For the past week or two I have been having trouble getting my car to start at
the first turn of the key. It sounds like it wants to turn over, but it
doesn't start unless I turn the key a second time. Yesterday, upon turning the
key the first time, the clock and trip meter reset. I asked someone who works
in a VW parts department and they said it could be the Electronic Ignition
Switch gone bad. Has this ever happened to anyone else? If so, how easy is it
to replace it? I can get the part cheap, but the Bentley manual doesn't
mention anything about an Electronic Ignition Switch. If anyone can give me
any input, I would greatly appreciate it. By the way, someone else also
mentioned it could be a clogged fuel filter, but the car runs fine once I get
going. (I don't know.)

Norberto
97 Jetta GLX - Black