HELP: car won't hold idle?!?!

Okay, Monday morning. Car fired up, wouldn't hold idle. Turned the key
again, held the throttle down, slowly let off, engine idled low at 400rpm
for a few seconds, then died.

Drove it (SERIOUS Heel 'n' Toe action) to the dealership. Check engine light
was on. I'm thinking the 'brain' is turning the engine off because a sensor
has gone south. The dealership is telling me the cat is clogged and that a
new one will run $500+ dollars!!!!!!! I DON'T THINK SO!!!! I have not seen
ANY performance decrease whatsoever. The cat clogging would be a gradual
process, not sudden-onset. Unless, of course, a small animal crawled up and
died. No extra noise or ANYTHING driving it. Flow is FINE. I think if
anything the aft O2 sensor has fried out. Someone care to input? Similar
experiences (I'm not talking nutty stealerships)?

God Bless,
David