From: "chris collier" <collier@iglou.com>
To: "VR6A List" <list@gti-vr6.net>; "VR6B List" <gti-vr6b@eGroups.com>; "VW SC/TURBO"
<VR6-SC@onelist.com>; <VWGTIVR6@yahoogroups.com>; "Digest, jetta glx" <jettaglx@igtc.com>
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2001 8:27 AM
Subject: Car Makers giving back, or not?

This is very interesting reading.  Makes you really think who is there
and
who  isn't... when America needs help.

After seeing a news listing on "CNN Headline News" regarding Ford and
GM's contributions to the relief and recovery efforts in New York City
and
Washington D.C., I was prompted to see what the other automotive
companies were contributing.

 It is important to know which companies are there for us in a crisis,
as
we all have spent huge amounts of US $ on their products. The
information
comes from the news, press release and philanthropic areas of each of
the companies websites. If the company has several sites, I visited them

all. Additionally, I visited the leading news and automotive sites. As
of
today, two weeks since the attacks, this is what I have found:

 Aston Martin - Nothing

 Audi - Nothing. Audi's website states "Audi News: Always up to the
minute."

 BMW - Nothing, despite other press releases/postings since 9/11/01.

 Daewoo International - Nothing.

 Daimler Chrysler - (includes Dodge, Jeep, Mercedes-Benz, and Plymouth)
$10 million to support the children and victims in addition to other
donations from their employees, dealers, and suppliers.

 Fiat - Nothing.

 Ford Motor Company - (includes Jaguar, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercury, and
Volvo) - $1 million to the American Red Cross, matching employee
contributions to the Red Cross, and 10 Excursions to the New York Fire
Department. The company has also offered emergency response team
services  and office space to displaced government employees.

 General Motors - (includes Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile,
 Pontiac, Saab, and Saturn) $1 million to the American Red Cross,
matching employee contributions, and an entire fleet of vans,trucks, and
SUV's.

Honda - (includes Accura) Nothing. Only note on the site is a boast of
"American Honda Motor Co., Inc, records its second best American sales
month ever in August."

Hyundai Motors Group (includes Kia) - $300,000 to the American Red
Cross.

Isuzu - Nothing

Mitsubishi Motors - Nothing.

Nissan - Nothing.

Porsche - Press release with condolences, but no contributions.

Subaru - Nothing.

Suzuki - Nothing.

Toyota - (includes Lexus) Nothing. Press release with condolences
followed by boasts of highest American sales in July and August.

Volkswagen - The employees and management created a foundation,funded
initially with $2 million, to assist the children and victims with
humanitarian help including medical and psychological assistance,
rehabilitation, and scholarships.

I could only hope that it is an oversight by the companies (that have
become so wealthy with our dollars) who have not made a contribution and

that they will join the relief efforts. We have the freedom to choose
which companies we make purchases from and I, for one, will make my
purchases
from and give my money to the companies that are giving their money to
America at this time of need. I hope that you will as well.

Please forward this e-mail - - especially to anyone you know who is
thinking of purchasing a vehicle. Remember this the next time you make
that move to buy your next car New or used - - who gave what to help our

Country...