RE: Airbox Info

>From: Marc Gallagher <mgallagher@Langan.com>
>Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:02:22 -0400
>
>of course we are talking about an airbox INSIDE the hood without 60 mph
>eddies.  the way you cut a hole will affect the flow through it, but based
>on the slight negative air pressure we are talking about, I am not sure it
>would be noticeable.  I can certainly understand on a bike since the air
>outside is moving at a high velocity over the holes, essentially blocking
>more air from entering the box.  But enough of this horse.

No, have you ever owned a sport bike???  The airbox is form fitted to match
the contour of the gas tank it sits under.  In the case of the VFR, the
airbox sits on top of a set of paired cylinders in a 90-degree bank.  I was
not talking about high speed air moving over the airbox, I was talking about
over the bodywork, which in the case of the Jetta, would mean the hood, the
fenders, and the underbody.

What is important though , is that the principals are still the same, and
air velocity, condition of flow, and temperature are very important ...
butchering an airbox by chopping the top off or randomly drilling holes is
not the proper way of doing things and will rarely find you more power.

Good auto manufacturers spend lots of money on airbox R&D.  Finding a design
and suitable bay location/position that will produce the best results.  If
an auto manufacturer could save money by eliminating the top half (or bottom
in some cases) of an airbox, possibly just snapping the filter into place
... and increasing horsepower in the process .. you think they wouldn't do
it??  And don't give me any harmonics or EPA noise polution crap, cause
cancelling out the intake road would be childs play in engineering
comparison with designing an effieciently flowing air intake design.

Bill
'98 GLX
'01 325Ci