Re: Airbox Info

>From: "Nathan" <etherwolf@sopris.net>
>Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:40:17 -0600
>
>Finally got your Bimmer I see :-)
>
>Just how unreal is it?
>
># Nathan

Hehe ... let's just say you get a lot for your money.  Everyone that has
been inside of it and asked me how much it cost doesn't believe me that it
was only $31.4K

I had some initial problems with turning the DSC off.  DSC is BMW's Dynamic
Stability Control.  In the past, you simply hit a button on the dash, a
light would come on notifying you that DSC was off (and traction control),
and the fun began there.  Aparently for 2001, all BMWs have been modified so
as that you can turn off DSC, but leave traction control still on.  So the
first time I had the car out in the rain, I wanted to play with throttle
controlled oversteer, I hit the button to turn DSC off, but didn't realize
that I had to hold the button down for 3 seconds in order to turn off
traction control as well.  A good rally style whip of the wheel would allow
me to get the car sideways (it moderately understeers from the factory, but
a good stab at the throttle or some heavy steering wheel action fixes this
without commotion =), but applying moderate throttle (still in break-in at
the time) would do nothing at all, it felt as though traction control was
kicking it by either retarding timing or applying some rear brake, either
way, I wasn't a happy camper.

Called the dealer the next day, he had no idea why it wouldn't work, so then
I asked the E46 list and they explained the 3 second rule to me and that it
was in my manual the entire time (doht!).  With the DSC and TC (traction
control) turned off, the car is an absolute blast to slide sideways, I've
been doing it everytime it's rained =)  Anyway, I took it up to Maine and
New Hampshire the first weekend.  I'll say this:

A) The only other car I've driven that has such a phenomenal suspension
compromise between sport driving and road compliance was a 1999 Porche
Boxster.  Sitting in the 325, running over bad pavement, it soaks up bumps
so well you'd swear you were in a Lincoln, but then throw it full tilt into
anything and the lack of body roll / level of grip / handling manners are so
much fun this car should be the 8th deadly sin.

B) I broke the 1000 mile mark somewhere in New Hampshire (I was up there for
the Superbike races up at Loudon) and had two of my motorcycling friends in
front of me.  With all four windows and the moonroof open, without any
trouble, I saw a little past 135 on the speedo on a decent straightaway
passing one friend on an '86 VF500F with ease and chasing down the other
guy.  The car still had more, but I had to take one hand off the wheel to
grab my hat which was flying off my head.  Who'd have expected this much
power (184HP my ass, more like high 190s low 200s) and torque (variable
valve timing on intake and exhaust valves make for great midrange) out of a
2.5L inline 6??

C) I have one problem with the car.  BMW had received some complaints from
their more luxury oriented owners that the steering was too heavy.  So
sometime last year, they refitted the steering on most of their cars with
more powerful steering booster which got rid of almost all of the steering
feedback.  The one really good thing I can say about the Jetta from a true
enthusiast standpoint is that it had great steering feel, and when I got
into the 325 I was disappointed.  After two weeks and a little over 1500
miles, I can say that I've gotten used to it and that the rest of the car
provides so much feedback, I don't really need it.  It helps that it's rear
wheel drive as it is anyway cause I spent a lot more of my concentration on
finding the limits of adhesion with the rear-end, whereas with the Jetta
being FWD, front-end feedback was doubley important.  BMW immediately
received concerns from the more sport-oriented owners when the new steering
pieces were put on, and BMW is currently offering a retrofit to the old
components which I am on the list for.  Who knows, I'll be ordering up the
suspension bits from the M3 soon enough, I might just order up the power
steering pump as well.

Bill