More on radio replacement...

Well, after the drive to work today, I'm thinking that the radio
install may not have gone as well as I thought it did.  It turns
out that at higher volumes (enough to get decent sound above the
road noise), there is severe distortion.  This did not happen with
the factory head... I could have it up very loud without getting
significant distortion.

Anyone know where the problem is?  Is it my head unit, or is it
something with the interface between the new head unit and amp?
Did I damage the amp by having the negative speaker wires connected
initially?

Thanks, Stefan