RE: snow tires, wheels, roof rack for sale

Actually, I got a '97 Wagon (previous generation, before they started
calling it the Avant). Not quite as nice as the new A6, or the allroad, but
about half the price. I thought about an S6 Avant, but decided that even if
I did have the extra $6-8,000 (which I don't), I'd rather spend it on a real
sports car (Miata or similar).

As far as driving impressions, the 12v 2.8 has about the same horsepower and
torque as the '98 VR6, running through an automatic transmission, and
carrying about an extra 1000 pounds. The brakes are also roughly the same
specifications as my Jetta (11.3" fronts). The math is pretty easy, it's no
sports car. I have yet to break the tires loose, but that will take snow or
gravel due to the Quattro system (and power-weight ratio). Surprisingly it
doesn't feel that underpowered.

On the other hand, it's much better built, and very nicely engineered. The
seats are comfortable and softer, but I feel like I'm sitting on the seats
rather than in the seat. Driving position is better due to a touch more
headroom and more adjustability (power seats, tilt/telescoping wheel). Gobs
of rear seat room (that's why we bought it). The nose is _huge_ compared to
the Jetta. The engine bay is nicely laid out.

Handling is decent, not an autox car or anything, but should handle most
highways just fine (hopefully I'll get my annual N. Cascades run done in
April or May). Front sway bar looks huge.

Now if there was some snow around here I could go play in...

Tim Irwin
'97 A6Q Wagon
'94 Integra LS (wife's daily driver, my autox car)