Re: The VW Jetta GLX Mailing List Digest V5 #54

I just wanted to add my experience to the discussion - my friend's
(CHIPPED!) 1.8T Passat does 15's in the quarter mile. He bought it new
and just takes the chip out when it goes in for service. I've
personally watched this sedan cross the line at the track, a car-length
ahead of a modified GLX GTI. It is a completely different car with the
$100 chip popped in under the hood. Plus you can get a blow-off and a
whaler valve so it sounds intimidating - popping off unused spooled
turbo compression when to come to a stop or shift. I would encourage
anyone to take a ride in a CHIPPED 1.8T anything before you decided to
dropped any hard earned cash.

jC
'97 Tornado Trek
(not chipped, not even a 6 cyl, but a lot of fun)

<jettaglx-Digest-Owner@igtc.com> wrote:

> The VW Jetta GLX Mailing List Digest
>  Tuesday, April 17 2001 Volume 05 : Number 054
>

> In this issue:
>
> 	it was a very good lunch (sing like Frank Sinatra)
> 	RE: it was a very good lunch (sing like Frank Sinatra)
> 	RE: it was a very good lunch (sing like Frank Sinatra)
> 	my pics from the Colorado H2O Moonlight Drive
> 	RE: [Colorado_H2O_Dubbers] RE: it was a very good lunch (sing lik e
> FrankSinatra)
> 	RE: it was a very good lunch (sing like Frank Sinatra)
> 	Re: [Colorado_H2O_Dubbers] RE: it was a very good lunch (sing like
> FrankSinatra)
> 	RE: [Colorado_H2O_Dubbers] RE: it was a very good lunch (sing lik e
> FrankSinatra)
> 	Re: [Colorado_H2O_Dubbers] RE: it was a very good lunch (sing like
> FrankSinatra)
> 	FW: vw
> 	New jetta opinion poll... GLX or Wolfsburg?
> 	Trade-in value question on 96 GLX
> 	Re: New jetta opinion poll... GLX or Wolfsburg?
> 	Re: Trade-in value question on 96 GLX
> 	link to the pictures I took yesterday of the car
> 	Re: New jetta opinion poll... GLX or Wolfsburg?

> Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:17:50 -0600
> From: "Chadwick, John/COR/INV" <jchadwic@ch2m.com>
> Subject: it was a very good lunch (sing like Frank Sinatra)
>
> So I need to get gas after going up to Vail this weekend. I check the
> MFA
> before I reset it, and to my (happy) surprise, I got 324 miles out of
> that
> tank! I've driven this before and I have only gotten 276. During the
> week I
> usually only get 250 if I'm lucky. I'll see what this tank can get
> me,
> especially since I fixed my coil pack.
> Anyway, I also took some pictures of the Vento, with my new digital
> camera,
> since it's transformation. I should have those up tomorrow.
>
> Chadwick
> 95 Vento GLX
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:59:26 -0400
> From: Chuck Simpson <Csimpson@zeltech.com>
> Subject: RE: it was a very good lunch (sing like Frank Sinatra)
>
> Dude...  when I had my '98 Jetta GLX with Garrett V.11 chip
> installed,
> I managed 410 miles on one tank with strictly highway driving.  I
> kept
> my speeds between 70-90 mph.  This was on my trip from Columbus, OH
> Norfolk, VA.
>
> Is something seriously wrong with your VR6?  324 miles in one take
> is something like 23 mpg (using 14 gallons of gas).  Your tank should
> be 14.5 gallons in size.  I would usually average 24 mpg with lots of
> city driving in my car.  You should be getting at least 26 mpg on the
> highway (without a chip).
>
> j/curious
>
> - -Chuck...

=== message truncated ===