Re: New battery woes

In a message dated 9/19/00 8:14:56 PM Central Daylight Time,
tdipalma@thomas.com writes:

<< I got a new battery form the dealer for my 98 GLX and they advised me not
 to put the battery jacket back on. They said that its better to leave it off
because it tends to act like a blanket and not an insulator thus, exposing
the battery to sustained temps from the engine. Even with this new battery
the jacket still fits. Do any of you folks believe this? Have any of you
heard of something similar from
 other people? Should I toss this jacket in the trash? >>

It came from the factory with the jacket, right? So what makes the dealer
(many of whom are known by us to be, ahem, less than knowledgeable about the
products they service) the final word on this? Most of them can't even change
the oil without overfilling it....how can you trust them on this? I know it's
not earthshattering, but.....

I'd say put it back on. I'll keep mine when I replace my battery.

David Steele
1998 JettaGLX TRed
1988 Jetta Coupe Atlas Gray
1987 Jetta Marine Blue