Re: Overheating Problem

I also own a 97 GLX with what will very soon be 58k miles, and I've been having
the same problem for several months now.  I noticed my high speed fan was coming
on a lot, even during normal, low stress driving.  However, my thermostat gauge
has never worked very well, sometimes it works, a lot of times it just sits
there, not reading anything.  But once it started working again, it was spending
more and more time to the right of center.  I thought it was my thermostat, so I
bought a new one (pretty cheap part), but when I got out the Bentley and found
where the thermostat lives, decided that wasn't a Saturday afternoon project, at
least not for someone who doesn't normally do this for a living.  Getting to
that bloody part looked to be a huge pain in the rear.  So I flushed the
coolant, changed the oil, and things seemed to get a little better.  But lately
it's been back up approaching 230, like yours.  I still have the new thermostat,
but haven't had it put in yet.  If you find out what the problem with yours is,
I'd be very interested.

Cab
97glx
72bug