brakes brakes brakes

i wanted to throw this out to the list...

had my tires changed the other day and the mechanic looked at my brakes and
said the rotors were out of specs.  he showed me the rotor and he showed me
the lip on the rotor that was produced by the pad.  the lip is on the very
outer edge of the rotor, which was left after the pad wore away the rest of
the rotor.  i guess im not used to the rotor wearing down before the pad did.
 i always had the pad wear out first then had the rotor resurfaced on my
other cars.  he said the rotors on the vw's wear fast.  has anyone had this
experience and is he telling the truth or trying to pull a fast one on me??
or is this all normal and its time to shell out some doe?

if the mechanic is right then....

what is everyones favorite set up for brakes?  type of rotors and type of pad
combo?  and how much for that set up?  if i need to get them changed i want
to know whats out there and what kind of results does everyone get from their
break setups.

thanks to everyone on the list
marc