Door lock

Hey all,

Has anyone seen this little snafu?  I noticed yesterday morning on the way to
work that when I unlocked my car (aftermarket remote keyless), the lock post (or
whatever you call the little job that moves up and down) on the left rear door
didn't come up.  I thought that was pretty strange, so I locked it again and
unlocked it, same thing.  I got in the car, used the power lock button on the
console, and it didn't go up.  I manually pulled up on the post, and it wouldn't
come up all the way.  It came up about halfway, but no more.  When it was up
halfway, and I locked the car, it was pulled down.  Once I got to the office, I
tried opening the door, and although the post was down, looking like it was
locked, the door opened.  When I locked the car, obviously no change to the
post, but the door was locked.

So my question is, is the purpose of those things merely to indicate if the door
is open, and actually have nothing to do with locking it?  And also, has anyone
seen this, and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks,
Cab
97glx
72bug