RE: I was bad

Now here's a "common truth" that I've always wondered about.

Is it bad to run your car right to the bottom of the tank?  Sure, running
out of gas is bad, but can you do any damage by just running it really low?

Common arguments: If you allow your tank to get really low, you're going to
be running off the 'gunk' at the bottom of the tank.  This may be true if
the gas line picked up from the top of the tank, but it feeds from the
bottom, which would (in my mind) prevent the gunk from accumulating in the
first place.

So what's the call?  Wives tale or truth?

Darren.

PS: Additional story.  When I was looking for a GLX, I test drove one off a
dealer lot.  Like any dealer, it had very little gas in it (don't want to
give any freebies!).  I was on my own, made it about 2 KM, and ran out of
gas.  To the car's credit, it didn't take much to get started once the
dealer came by with a jerry can.