Effed shifter

Drove to the city for the NY Auto Show Saturday. Looking for a spot when all
of a sudden my shifter feels loose as a goose. It was like driving a Mack
truck--couldn't find any gear for a few minutes. Eventually I got the hang
of it, but man was it a chore getting around. I seem to remember a few
people who had a similar problem, and the fix was relatively cheap (~$20
part??)--somekind of plastic selector thingy. Can someone please enlighten
me? I have the AWE short shifter by the way.

Thx
Kevin Ng
97 Jetta GLX Windsor Blue