From: owner-jettaglx@igtc.com [mailto:owner-jettaglx@igtc.com]On Behalf
Of Khan Klatt
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2000 2:53 PM
To: jettaglx@igtc.com
Subject: Re: get out of a ticket?

 >jeez, khan...he's just a fellow driver not wanting waste money on a
 >speeding ticket...understandable, don't you think?

I think my response made it clear that I couldn't comprehend the
mentality that makes someone think that they can get out of a ticket
due to some trivial inaccuracy that was caused by the driver.

 >  and who do you think you are to get all condescending on him?

Who are you to say that I was condescending? I mean really, the guy
broke the law, he got caught. I point it out, and suddenly I'm
condescending because I said he should face the music.

 >  what? you've never gone over the limit?

Of course I have. But for very short periods of time, and with NO
cars on the road at the time. Otherwise, I accelerate as safely and
as quickly as possible to the speed limit, and hit the cruise button
at 4 to 5 mph over the limit.

 >  never gotten a ticket and wish you didn't have to pay it??!!

Well, I'll let you know when I get my first ticket. Regardless, I
think I know myself pretty well. If I ended up getting a ticket, and
I was speeding, sure I'd *wish* I didn't have to pay it, but I would
absolutely pay it. I wouldn't try to argue that the cop wrote "Jetta"
instead of "Jetta GLX VR6" and that therefore I should get out of the
ticket. I mean what's next?

Does the cop have to write that it was the classic green, and not the
hunter green on my car? Does he have to know the difference between
"Yellow" and "Ginster Yellow"? Does he have to know that I actually
have Brospeed tips on my car, and therefore it isn't a stock Jetta?
Does this mean that cops have to do a 200 item inspection of your car
before giving you a ticket to ensure it sticks? Do they have to get
your VIN and run the VIN numbers to determine the origin of the car?

 >and no- it's not really like stealing something from a store.

You missed the point of the analogy. The analogy was of the following
structure:

1. You know you're doing something wrong.
2. You get caught doing it but you say you shouldn't be liable
because they said you were caught doing "x" with "y".
3. You want to argue that you shouldn't be liable because you say you
were caught doing "x" with "z".

In that light, the analogy fits perfectly.

 >  he's just trying to find a loophole that may help him in getting
 >out of the ticket.

And I'm just trying to say that reaching for a loophole that
absolutely ridiculous is offensive to me. What's next after that?

Can we all start making typos on our W-2's so that when we fill out
our 1040 IRS forms that since your employment record shows you
employed as John Vento Jones, and your real name is actually John
Jetta Jones, that you shouldn't have to pay taxes?

Does this mean that after you have a one night stand with someone and
they have a kid, and you change your name to Bill Vento from Bill
Jetta that suddenly the kid isn't yours and you shouldn't have to pay
child support?

Does this mean that you can change your name from Bob Jetta to Bob
Vento and when the AIDS report comes back from the doctor and it says
that Bob Vento has AIDS, you don't have to worry about it, because
after all, you're really Bob Jetta?

To me it's all varying degrees of the same kind of dishonesty.

 >  And loopholes are what this country runs on- from lawyers to courts
 >to taxes to politicians to lawmakers.

If that's true, it's only because this country is full of people with
no integrity. I'm not going to be a pessimist-- there are plenty of
people out there with integrity. In my opinion, where you stand on
this issue determines whether you are one of them or not.

 >i'm sure he knows he did somthing wrong by speeding- we all do it.
 >he was just asking for a little help, not a condescending, placating
 >lecture.

Yes, we all do it, but we don't all expect to get away Scott-free on
some sort of absurd technicality. What's the disincentive to drive
the limit if you can use a ridiculous loophole like this each time?
Do I never have to pay a ticket if I get the Honda Accord body kit
(trunk, grille, and badges) and the cops keep on calling my Jetta a
Honda?

Give me a break.

- -Khan
- --

Khan Klatt                                         khan@mediaaccess.com

Media Access Internet Solutions, Inc.		      888.750.0777 tel
http://www.mediaaccess.com			      425.519.3741 fax