Re: Startup noise and oil pressure

DJ:

> Now back to the 'whump-whump' noise. I'm now convinced that I should be
> worried about it. Very worried. Now, about 1 out of five start-ups that
> involve the noise also involve illumination of the oil pressure light. I'm
> NOT losing oil, so a leak is not my concern right now as much as the
thought
> of having to replace the oil pump (anyone disagree, here?).

That's the first thing I thought of when reading your message was oil pump.
I think it could be that. BTW, did you pull out the filter to check
everything is alright in there. Not calling into queston your mechanical
abilities  but you never know. ALso try to have someone start the car for
you so you can pinpoint the location.

>Any idea how
> much that might run, and if the STILL amateur mechanic would be able to
> accomplish the mission? How about other theories?

Funny story I was quoted $600 and change to get the oil pump changed after
an a-hole at Cityline VW NY said I needed an new pump because I was
experiencing hesistation. Obviously he was trying to fleece me but then  the
sob realized I was the original owner and VW would have had to pick up the
tab. I have never seen anyone backpedal so fast :) Bottom line, I would
hazard to guess it'll take a couple of hours plus the cost of the pump
itself.

> Oh, yeah - I forgot to mention that I now have a popping noise when
backing
> out of a parking space and turning the wheel. Of course I suspect a bad
C.V.
> joint, because I really WANT to spend $500 to get that fixed...

I see you have a 96. Oil pumps and CV joints are covered by the drivetrain
warranty.  I guess you are a second owner?

Jose