Re: The VW Jetta GLX Mailing List Digest V4 #132

> Hey there fellow VWer's,
> I would like to know about what (if any) trouble you may have had with the
> A/C on your A3 Jetta/Golf.
> My '97 Jetta has decided to stop blowing cold air thou everything else
> works....  so now it seems to be time for a refrigerant re-charge.
> Well so far it seems as if I am about to get screwed in the $$ to have this
> done.
> (minimum charge of $120 + from dealers and shops in the Seattle, WA area)
> Is this something that with the R-134a refrigerant that one could/can do
> yourself (like the old toxic R-12)?
> Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Chris

If you have a leak you have a bigger problem.
Check the A/C hose where it runs from the top of the condenser/radiator down to the
compressor.  It runs down between the two cooling fans, (on the VR6 at least).  There is
a foam donut around it to keep it from rubbing against the sharp edges of the
fan/radiator housing.  However, on mine, it rubbed right through the donut, then rubbed
into the hose causing a big leak.

I made a splice here with band clamps and a piece of copper tube, then recharged it
myself with refrigerant from autozone.  It takes 2-3 cans which are about $5-6 a piece.
But you also need the hoses and hookups to put it in.  You can buy this kit from autozone
also.