RE: K&N Injection System

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, David Parry wrote:

> I recently purchased my 97 Jetta GLX and wanted to start with some
> up-grades. What are my options for adding a K&N Air Filter System. I was
> looking for the injection system at Pep Boys and they could not locate a
> part number for Volkswagen's. I am new to upgrading foreign cars and any
> help would be much appreciated.

All you need is the proper K&N air filter for the GLX. You simply have to
unhook a few clips and nozzles, and pull out the old air filter, and put
in the K&N. It literally "drops in".

Before you do that, you can also remove the snow screen mesh... I did. My
car is garaged every night, so leaves and snow very rarely make it into my
airbox-- and when they do, I'll let the K&N do its job to prevent that
crap from getting in the engine.

If you're not sure what I'm talking about, the air filter box has an input
port where the air comes in. Right at that port, there is a mesh screen.
VW apparently decided this is a good thing to have to prevent snow from
freezing or leaves from getting in or something like that. I just removed
it by removing a screw. No need to further block incoming air...

-Khan