M3 test-drive

All,

So I recently discovered that one of my co-workers drives an M3, vintage
'99. I asked for a little ride in the passenger seat, but he offered me the
keys instead... I couldn't refuse, especially so close to my birthday! The
car looks like a souped up 3-series coupe - the same frame and body with
some sportier trim, wheels, mirrors, and a more aggressive stance. The dash
is the same inside, but that is the end of the similarity. It's the body of
a 3, with the heart and soul of a race-car...

All I really can say is WOW! I can't wait. The car is pure sport. Like the
CLK320, I wasn't able to adjust the seats to a perfect position right away,
but I didn't take enough time to work the controls, as I was anxious to get
out and play. I'm sure there's a position that would be amenable to my
sensitivities, I was just too impatient to find it.

The whole trip Bobby kept urging me to 'punch it.' "C'mon, take it up to the
top!" he chimed repeatedly.
Only once over the 20 minutes or so I was behind the controls did I cycle
through all five gears at or above 4k rpm. I stayed reasonably low -
something in my head talking about driving someone else's $40+k car... I
never "race" my girlfriend's (female friend) MBZ CLK320, and I sure wasn't
going to do it in an M3 unless it were mine. Even driving conservatively,
there was a tremendous amount of power. I was very pleased.

As for short-comings, there were several. For one, the interior feels
cramped. Tight and safe, but a smidgeon small. Fit and finish are superb,
almost better than the MBZ, but the interior is looking dated, as many
reviews have stated (that rhymes!). The side mirrors are made for
aesthetics, and look great from outside, but provide very little VIEW from
inside (small). The rest of the view is INCREDIBLE, however, both from the
rear-view mirror, and over-the-shoulder blind-spot checks -- the coupe's
rear window provides excellent visibility in that regard (and rear pillar
obstruction is negligible).

All in all, I'm very happy to be planning my acquisition. every now and then
I wonder if the racing mystique will wear off and I will regret choosing it
over a luxury car with some added sportiness - like the new 328Cis. The M3
is NOT a sports-luxury sedan. It is a full-throttle sports car ala Corvette,
with a few amenities. The only thing "Luxury" about it is the idea that it's
a Bimmer. In that respect it made me appreciate the Jetta GLX as a
sports-luxo car.

My only holdback right now is finance...

DJ