re: Something's Draining my Battery

Cab:

These are all signs of a bad battery.  The problem is that our engine
compartment is very hot and this really cooks the batteries.  Mine only
lasted 5 years then suddenly just went over night without any warning.  The
car started fine until one day it just didn't crank at all.  I at first
thought it was an electrical problem also such as a bad ground but soon
realized that the battery had just given up real quick.  I even tried
boosting the battery which then damaged the ECU (Warning to everyone else
don't try this - not recommended on our cars even if your boosting under the
recommended current they have posted in our VW manual - it doesn't work).
Fortunately the Service Manager who I've done business with for years
figured out some way to get me a new ECU at no-charge.  My advice is to just
bite the bullet and get the best battery you can find, and to those who are
running 4 plus years on your battery - get it replaced soon or you'll find
yourself stuck somewhere unexpectedly.
Also make sure your insulation blanket is on your battery and properly
secured, which helps protect your battery from the heat soaks after stopping
the car.  I have wondered if perhaps more insulation would be helpful? This
might be another good mod to put into our cars. Or simply relocate battery
to the trunk, but this would be a real pain in the neck job.  BTW on all the
new A4's VW has relocated the battery into a tray area behind the firewall
as on all the Audi's, gets it away from the heat and batteries should last
longer.

Dr Bob