From: Tom Boyer [mailto:email@domain.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2000 1:04 PM
To: JettaGLX list
Subject: Winter tires and rotors/pads

My Dunlops are almost bald, and now we have snow ... need winter tires.

The local place suggested Pirelli Winter 210s (IIRC), which would run
about $120 per tire. Sure, they might be nice tires, but that's
definitely NOT the plan for some tires I'll be using for three or four
months and that's it! They also suggested picking up a set of four
cheapie 14" snow rims, which leaves me with more options as far as snow
tires go. Not cheap, either, though.

So, what're you all running this winter? And how much did you pay for the
tires? Spending three hundred to five hundred bucks isn't the plan, here,
especially since I'm going to need new summer tires in a couple months
anyhow!

On another topic, do any of you have recommendations for brake rotors and
pads? Obviously, Mintex Redbox are the pads of choice. I have a '95 (July
'94) GLX ... not positive what size my rotors are stock, but I know that
they upgraded the size at some point between '95 and '96. Should I go
with slotted? Drilled? Any idea what the maximum feasible diameter would
be? Plus, what brands to stay away from?

Any advice would be welcome! TIA.

-Tom Boyer
'95 GLX (black/black, fast, fun, but slippery in the snow!)

Zip-zap ... zip-zap ... it's Tom ... Tom Boyer ... cyng@lamere.net!
         ... who cares?