RE: Bose? Next

As some may be aware, I was assured that a complete replacement was
required by the local shops.  It was later posted that there is a
trick that can be used to connect in a new head unit only to the
existing external amp/speakers and get the system to work (and
presumably still sound better than stock).

At any rate, I did replace my entire system, and now have a system
that is far superior to stock at (some may say) a modest price point:

	Ecplise In-Dash CD Head unit ($380)
	Boston Acoustics Pro 6.5 front speakers ($450)
		Woofer is mounted in door, tweeter in dash
		400 watt rating
	Boston Acoustics RM 6 rear speakers ($280)
		(very sweet) Coax speaker mounted in rear door
		200 watt rating
	MTX 5000 sub in enclosure in trunk ($150)
	Sony Xplod 405 EQX 5-channel amp ($400)
		40 watts x 4 channels + 100 watts x 1 channel

This system is pretty good (actually its way better than stock, and I
thought the stock Bose system was the best stock system I'd ever heard).

Complex bass tracks give it fits, however, due to the single (and somewhat
average) sub and low power amp.  Its weird.  Before, I really wasn't
hearing any of the deep bass.  Now that I can hear it, I realize how much
I was missing, and really want this part to be as clean as possible.

Also, when the weather's nice (like now...high 75!), I like to run
around with the windows down.  At 75 mph, that means I need a lot of SPL
coming from my speakers.  The result is I'm constantly pushing this amp
to its limits, but I'd still like it louder.

As an alternative, I'd first consider the MTX 5400 5 channel amp.  Its
got 55 watts x 4 channels + 150 watts x 1 channel.  Plus its a more
effecient amp, with more of its power going to the speakers than being
used to heat the heat sinks.  It would have cost me $600, and at the
time I didn't think I'd need to spend the extra 50% for not that much
more power. I was wrong.  Of course, there are no limits to power, but
if you like everything else I noted, then I'd highly recommend at least
this change.

Steve Belt - Scotts, AZ
1998 VW Jetta GLX

PS-  The MTX 5400 is no longer the current model, nor is the MTX 5000
     (though Crutchfield still lists the part numbers I show above).
     The new model numbers are:  MTX 405 and MTX 6000 respectively.
     Each are slightly improved over their predecessor.