Re: The VW Jetta GLX Mailing List Digest V4 #11

KBumga9464@aol.com wrote:

> Yesterday when I locked my driver's door the lock cylinder broke off and came
> out with the key!  I live in a town without a dealer and am getting the parts
> mailed to me.  Can anyone out there tell me how to do this?  95Jetta GLX.
> The parts man says you have to get the cylinder keyed to your key and then
> there is a screw under the handle and one on the door and the whole handle
> comes off????
> Thanks
> Karen 95 Jetta GLX  Go Huskies

 There's an allen bolt located on the inside of the door jam that holds the
handle in place.  Remove the bolt and slide the handle  towards the front of the
car.  You  are doing this to get the clip on the inside of the handle.  Once you
have the handle slid to the furthest point foward, pull out on the end that has
the lock - it should come out of the door - if not the catch on the inside of the
handle is still grabbing.  Once the handle starts to come out of the door, simply
pull the end with the lock towards you until that end of the handle is completely
out of the door and the other end will simply slide out of the door.

 Look here for a pic of a handle out of the door to get an idea what it looks
like in comparison to what I am trying to describe:  (I added text and arrows to
the pic)

http://users.sgi.net/~vwsport/pics/door-howto.jpg

--

-Steve.