Tranny questions

I've got a few questions that some of you out there may be able to
answer.  First off, I'm new to this list, so I'm not sure if this has
been covered at all before.  We currently have a '97 Jetta GLS (2.0/5spd)
that seems to have a habit of eating transmissions.  It has 36k on it
now, and will be getting it's 3rd tranny installed under warranty in the
next few weeks.  I've had trouble with it chewing up the main shaft and
pinion bearings.  That on top of the fact that the clutch started to slip
recently has got me a bit upset with the car.  The car has been driven by
my fiance since new.  She is very easy on the car and is a very good with
the clutch.  Needless to say, I'm a bit disappointed with the car.
Anyway, I'm considering trading it in on a VR6 Jetta.  My questions are:
What transmission is mated to the VR6?  I assume it's a different tranny
than the 2.0 cars, but I'm not sure.  Are the late model VW's prone to
tranny problems?  With the amount of 2.0/5spd VW's out there, I wouldn't
think so, but a tranny/year is a bit much for me.  What clutch life have
others seen?  Any VR6 tips that I should keep in mind while shopping for
one?  Most of my VW experience has been with early Type I's.   Any info
would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat
'00 Jetta GLX ??????