Re: Thought I'd seen it all...

To note, the engines that you are comparing the 12V VR6 to are either 24
valve, or 30 valve motors.  To compare apples to apples, VW does have a 24
valve version of the VR6 on sale (Europe only) called the V6.  It puts out
204 hp @ 6200 rpms and 199 lb-ft of torque @ 3200 rpms.  Are we going to see
it here?  I sure hope so, but it will be only in 4Motion since VW has a
belief that 180-190hp is the upper limits that should be had in a FWD
vehicle.  Prior to this, VW sold a 2.9 L VR6 (again Europe only, and Corrado
only) that put out 190hp and 180lb-ft of torque, still 12V.  I would not
sleep on the potential of VW, nor the VR6.

In a message dated 02/24/2000 12:01:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
vfrboy@home.net writes:

> > > 172 horses out a 2.8L six cylinder is pretty pathetic,
>  >
>  > Can you think of another 2.8 litre 12V motor that puts out 172 hp?  172
>  > hp is respectable for the VR6, especially since it dates back to 92.
>
>  12Valve ... no.  But plenty of 2.8L 24 Valve engines are crushing the 172
>  mark, not to mention also providing more torque.
>
>  > GM was lucky to get 155-160 hp out of their 3.1 in 92.  :-)
>
>  GM was, is, and always will be an American engine maker, torque means a
>  whole lot more to them than peak horsepower, so it's not really a fair
>  comparison.  What about Audi's 190HP 2.8?  Or BMW's 190HP 2.8?  They both
>  make more torque and get better mileage in heavier cars.  So what's the
>  deal?
>
>  Bill
>  '98 GLX

Marc A. Brown
Speed Etc. Motorsports
Club GTI International (Northeast Region)
"Cogito Ergo Sum"
1995 Jetta GLX (well modded)
1998 New Beetle 2.0 (still stock)