Change Motor Mount (long)

   Finally got the Motor mount, cost about 60 bucks from Potterman.   Here
is how it started.   The car would make a thumping sound when taking of in
1st and giving it gas in 2nd.   It turned out that the bolt that connects
the mount to the bracket snapped.
                                    Disclaimer at bottom
Tools needed:
1/2 in socket
8mm Allen wrench (socket preferred)
Ratchet
Jack (floor jack preferred)
If using a jack with a small plate have a piece of wood to spread the
pressure.
extension about 12in.
If the bolt on your motor mount is intact you will need a socket for that, I
dont know the size mine was broken.

   First remove lower bushing cover (three 1/2in nuts)were the Turn 2 goes,
this requires the 1/2 in socket.   Next remove the Allen bolt holding the
lower bushing on, this is where you use the Allen wrench.   Pull off the
bushing if it doesn't come off with the bolt.
   Next go up top and undo the bolt that holds the motor bracket to the
motor mount.   I dont know the size on this one but this is where you would
use the extension.
   Now you are ready to raise the motor.   Place the jack under the oil pan,
yes the oil pan.   slowly jack the motor up, use caution when doing this.
keep going, keep going.   The car will raise also just keep going until you
can wiggle the old motor mount out.
   Reassemble in reverse order.
   Put the new motor mount in be sure to line up the two little teeth on the
motor mount, they go towards the rear of the vehicle.   Make sure that they
go under the lip on the bracket when lowering the engine.
   My bolt wouldn't line up when the motor was lowered so I had to jack it
back up and start the bolt.   I got it hand tight and then lowered the
motor.   Once it was lowered I went ahead and tightened it.
   This would be a good time to install a Turn 2 if you dont have one
already.   Put the Turn 2 or the old bushing back in insert Allen bolt and
tighten.   Replace bushing cover and tighten the three nuts on the studs.
   I don't have torque specs just ask someone with a Bentley manual.
   The whole process took me about an hour and a half.   This was my first
try and I didn't have very good directions.
   I hope this helps.   It solved my thumping problem.

   As a side note if you want to polish you manifold without removing it
just undo the lower bushing and jack the motor up.   It gets up pretty high
and should make sanding easier.

   Disclaimer
   I am not responsible for stuff you brake.   this worked for me and I
didn't have any broken parts.   If you brake something and come after me I
will sick Wally on you.:)

Brian
98 TRed GLX
http://homepages.msn.com/YosemiteDr/bkvr6/index.html