Spring Rates...

At 5:23 PM -0500 2/1/2000, Ng, Kevin (Bank of America Commercial
Finance) wrote:
> [...]

A linear spring rate means that, the force required per inch to
compress (or expand) the spring is the same.

A progressive spring rate means that, as the distance of compression
increases, the resistance increases.

If you cut the stock springs, you do not increase the spring rate.
You will not reduce brake dive, but you will lower the car. By
shortening the springs, all you're doing in linear springs is to
reduce the force required to fully compress the springs.

The best solution is (unless you know exactly what you're doing in
which case I'm not saying anything new) to get the specific springs
and shocks you want to solve your particular problem.

I think most of the people on this list are enthusiasts, not avid
mechanics, which means that for most of us, we're going to buy stuff
in packages that will not require cutting springs, etc.

-Khan

Khan Klatt                                         khan@mediaaccess.com

Media Access Internet Solutions, Inc.		      888.750.0777 tel
http://www.mediaaccess.com			      425.519.3741 fax