Check engine light

Would like a diagnosis.  Am going to bring the glx in
the shop regardless, just wanted some feedback.

Been hit with hurricane Dennis lat couple of days.
Has made driving...well...wet to say the very least.

Ran late this morning so I just started the girl and
took off.  (normally, I let her warmup)  Noticed that
she was sputtering along (more than usual from a cold
start).  Stop in to get gas.

When I left the station, the check engine light came
on.  Any guesses? What exactly does the OBD thing
monitor?

Since Dennis is giving us rain, I did have to drive
through many standing puddles of water to get around
last night.  Could water under the hood cause this?
And if I let it dry, will it go away?  I only ask this
question, cause I had a similar problem with my 94
sport.  Hit a HUGE puddle (lake) of water and the
thing went whacky.  When it dried, it was back to
normal.  Any help would be great.

Thanks.

nix