BIG problem?!

Okay. You all know what sparklers smell like, right?
It's also the smell that flooded my last car when the amp blew.
NOW, it's emanating from my GLX. I got a check engine light back in FL, and
noticed the smell one day - it lasted only a few minutes, and I thought it
was from another car. 76miles later, the light was gone. The DTC indicated a
cyl 3 misfire, and a prob with one of the 02 sensors. Now, 2400 miles later,
in California (S.D.), I get the check engine light - AGAIN. So i decide to
go to Metro Imports (VW/AUDI) to buy new wires. Cool wires, in red, when all
I was expecting was black. Replaced the wires, and two days later, when
accelerating, I get the smell again. Only this time it's lasted THREE days.
It smells electrical - you guys know that particularly acrid alkaline smell
- and now I'm worried... Any guesses? plugs gone bad? three-day-old wires
gone bad? distributor? I'm guessing it's *something* to do with the
ignition, but WHAT?

DJ