Re: RE: RE: Steve Belt - Supercharged

Thank you for the explanation.
I'm thinking of supercharging my engine, but I have a little problem choosing betwen a turbocharger and supercharger.

Thanks
Matt Z.

>>> "Belt, Stephen D" <stephen.d.belt@intel.com> 10/25 4:41 PM >>>
Matt sez>
> I have heard that any type of forced induction (turbo, kompressor)
> would sgnificantly shorthen the life of the engine. Can you tell me
> what you think, if its true or not and to what extent?

As with anything that adds power, there is a risk that engine life
can be shortened.  However, (especially true of a turbo) I believe
that forced air generally makes the engine _more_ efficient.  You
get more power at lower RPMs, saving RPMs.

The big downside to forced air, is that your tolerances are stricter.
A minor miss or bad plug, etc., and the impact thereof, will be
greater in an engine that pumps out more power.  For example, you
really cannot get away with even minor engine pinging in a motor with
forced air.  You'll blow pistons all day.  However, a stock motor will
tolerate some minor pinging.

So, no, I do not believe that I will significantly shorten the life
of my engine.  I will also take strides to prevent breakage, for parts
that are prone to early decline, when more power is added.  For example,
I doubt the stock clutch is going to like the added power for long.
As well, the brakes should be looked at closely (and possibly upgraded,
though I have assessed this), to be sure that braking power is still
~2X engine horsepower.

I've looked into new pistons and crankshaft for the VR6, but quite
honestly I don't think they should be needed.  They'd be nice,
reducing rotating mass, but its not something I'm considering in the
_near_ future.

As always, YMMV,

Steve Belt - Scotts, AZ
1998 VW Jetta GLX