RE: speed limiter

True, and I may get called on it if I campaigned nationally (little chance
of that). As you may have seen on earlier posts, I intend to follow the
rules quite closely. However, this would be a modification with no effect
whatsoever on the speeds seen in Autocross (<70MPH), and I could argue that
there is nothing in the rules that disallows such a modification (engine
timing changes as done by A/M chips are specifically disallowed in some
classes). Similarly, the euro headlights -- which I would like to get when I
have the money -- could be considered a modification, but would have no
effect on performance.

While either change _could_ be technically illegal, I don't see how they
would conflict with the spirit of the rules, which would be to disallow any
change which would either enhance performance or deny a manufacture's
advertising/identity (i.e. de-badging). In my mind this is a different case
than a change which could be concealed well enough not to be discovered, but
would enhance performance.

It is probably a moot point anyway, as I would be amazed if they were
willing to make the change (though I can argue it from a safety point of
view, and I know the owner of the dealership is familiar with SIR as he
races a vintage Porsche 917).

As a side discussion, I know that several of the BMW tuners use the ODBII
port to re-program the stock chip. Does anyone know why none of the VW
tuners do the same?

Tim Irwin
'98 Jetta GLX
http://www.members.cascade.org/~tjirwin/tim.htm