Re: Question about springs, sways, wheels

Chuck-

You don't say what your goals are in modifying your suspension. Are
you looking for a stiffer ride? Will you autocross the GLX? Is it a
daily driver? Does the wife (ie. no tolerance for sporty ride) drive
it occassionally? What is your budget?

So, my answers are as generic as possible.

At 2:12 PM -0700 10/18/99, Chuck Van Pelt wrote:
>1. Do I need to swap out the shocks too?

No, you don't have to, but most people would ask, what are you trying
to accomplish by adding the springs? Is it just ride height, for
looks? If not, you'll want to swap out the shocks, because you're
really doing a half ass on the suspension. You're better of chipping
your car for the money. Otherwise, save up and do the full
shocks/springs combination.

>2. Would I have to get an alignment after having these springs
>installed? If so, is it possible that the alignment may not be able to
>be properly adjusted due to the short springs?

It's always recommended you get an alignment change whenever you
change shocks or springs.

>3. Is 1.4" inches a reasonable amount to lower a GLX? (Too low or not
>low enough?)

Now that's a can of worms. I got the Neuspeed SofSport system, which
lowers only moderately for ride comfort, but provides improved
handling over stock. You'll get some folks on here that say you
should drop at LEAST 2". I ended up dropping about 1" and 1.5" on
front and rear.

>4. Could I expect any rubbing of the tires in the wheel wells?

It depends on your setup, but I dropped about as much as you did, and
have NEVER come close to rubbing. From the people who recommend
dropping MORE than 2", you'll see them talking about flaring out
their wheel wells to accomodate the drop or increase in tire/rim
size, etc.

>5. What kind of ride can I expect from these springs? I don't mind
>feeling the road a bit, but wondered how much more "bumpiness" I might
>feel with shorter springs.

Don't know, never used those springs. If they're similar to mine,
you'll get a much harsher ride. Maybe that's an exaggeration, but
your "floaty" Jetta will be a thing of the past. Allow this pathetic
ASCII graph demonstrate what I mean.

Stock Jetta:
                            xxx
                        xxxx   xxxx
                    xxxx           xxx
                xxxx                  xxx                      xx
            xxxx                         xxx                 xx  xx  xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx                                xxx            xx      xx
                                               xxx       xx
                                                  xxx  xx
                                                     xx

New Suspension Jetta:
             x x
             x x
             x x
            x   x
            x   x
            x   x
           x     x
           x      x     x
xxxxxxxxxx        x   x xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    x x

At least that's the way mine feels like.

>In addition to the springs, how beneficial is it to replace the stock
>sway bars with aftermarket models such as Neuspeed for example? I have
>heard that the stock sways are to flexible.

I never got any sway bars, cross bars, etc. As a unibody, the Jetta
is fairly stiff body. However, I have to say that with my improved
suspension, taking corners allows the car to tilt quite considerably,
so I may end up stiffening up the car in that regard too by going for
sway bars.

>Is it advisable to change the outer diameter of my tires, or only to
>change the wheel size and compensate with a shorter sidewall, keeping
>the O.D. the same?

Some people will say yes, and they might be the same kind of people
telling you to drop 2" or more. I tend to like big fat rims, and big
fat tires. I think they look better. IMO, unless you're extremely
serious about your car (autocross, etc.) you should keep your wheel
diameter the same. Which means stick to 205/50 tires. On the other
hand, I think the 17" wheels look pretty phat, so you might upgrade
to nicer (larger) rims, and move from 205/50R15's to 205/50R17's. If
you're going to drive fast, you'll want Z rated tires.

If you're still in the NW, you might keep your stock rims, and buy
some 205/50R15 winter tires, and change your wheels when the first
lasting snows are around. When the snow goes away, bring out your 17"
wheels and summer tires (with some decent wet handling!) and you're
set. :)

-Khan