RE: non Jetta......response (long)

I'll do my best....

The fuel is actually the thing that cools and lubricates your fuel pump.
When it cuts out like that, it is starving itself of fuel. When you take
tight turns, and slosh fuel away from the inlet, you cause the pump to "run
dry". This is all well and good for a new pump, the wear surfaces are new
and have lotsa life left. However on an old pump, running it dry can cause
the failure mode to just keep increasing in magnitude.

Simply put, you need a new fuel pump. When you replace it, I would change
all the fuel filters, and maybe even drop your tank and clean it out ,
especially the little strainer at the pump inlet. The pump being noisy is a
common complaint in A1 cars, but some folks can tell the difference between
heathly noise and bad noise. I haven't driven an A1 since I traded my 84 GLi
in for a 95 GLX, but I remember that my pump was noisy even when I had no
problems...

Hope this helps and good luck. I'm sure there a lot of places you can can a
new pump at a decent price, just make sure you use a good shop manual when
you replace it so you don't make any mistakes (Haynes or Bentley are best).

	-Cab