Re: Stock Brakes

At 8:11 PM -0400 10/7/99, RTMeikle@aol.com wrote:
>How many miles can I expect my stock brakes pads to last?  I'd like to
>upgrade them- mainly to reduce dust- but will have a hard time justifying the
>cost until my pads are worn out.  Is there a wear indicator light on the dash
>that'll come on?
>
>ROB
>'97GLX

Actually, I had a VERY easy time justifying the cost, even though I
replaced my pads at about 12,000 miles.

My reasons were:

a) The Mintex Redbox pads I installed are relatively inexpensive
b) They produce much less dust, which means you spend less on tire
cleaners, which means less abrasion on your wheels (which cost a lot
more than the pads)
c) You can actually get better braking performance out of aftermarket
pads. If you can cut your braking distance by even five feet from
60mph, that could be the difference between totalling a car, and a
minor fenderbender. Or better yet, it can allow you to go from a
fenderbender to a near miss. Not to mention being able to stop short
of hitting a deer or a child that ran into the road.

What's that worth to you?

If you can come to think like I do, it's not a question of whether
you do the replacement or not. Forget about how much use you've
gotten out of your brakes, and upgrade if you want to. They may end
up paying for themselves.

-Khan