Re: Help wanted with wheel woes (long)

Hmm, lot's of ??s...I'll answer them in exam format....
So my questions to the list are:
1) Is every 98's stock suspension as bad as mine, or am I blessed?
2) If mine is especially bad, do I have any hope in hell of recourse
from VW? I've always assumed that if mine was an exception case, there'd
be no measurement I could use to prove the extent of badness, and that
the dealer/VW wouldn't do anything about it. Since it's still under
dealer warranty...
The stock suspension is nothing to write home about, but it shouldn't be so bad as to bottom out that soon and in regular driving.  I'd take it back to the dealer and have them take a look.  Have you tried the "pushing down on the bumper" test?  Does your car oscillate up and down over medium and large sized dips and bumps?
3) If I replace the stock suspension, will the aftermarket ride better
protect my rims, or is it likely to be harsher? (Open-ended question, I
know.) I'm thinking about H&R (or is that HoR?) coil-overs, as those
seem to be highly favored among listers. (Of course, I don't have an
extra grand or two lying around; what I do have is for my Harley down
payment.)
Well, I hate using this cliche, but "if you wanna play, you gotta pay" and I think this is especially true w/ aftermarket VW suspension, particularly for the A3s....go for the best and go straight to a coilover.  You usually can't match a spring rate and shock valving as well as a coilover setup.  Yes, the ride will be stiffer and possibly be percieved as harshness over some roads, but it shouldn't be a contributing factor to your wheel and tire problems, especially with the spring rates you are/would be running.

4) Are 40s just too damn short no matter what suspension you're riding,
and should I chuck the rubber and pick up 50s or 60s and damn the
odometer? Lots of you guys are riding on 40s; how many are on the stock
suspension?
I'm running on 40s and I'm in San Francisco.  I've driven over some really bad potholed roads....sometimes at idiotically high speeds, but I've never blown a tire or bent a rim....maybe because I've got really strong wheels (BBS RCs).  Have you checked your tire pressure?  Make sure it's not too low and not too high....

5) Finally, if I do toss the 40s in favor of 50s and want to compensate
for the diameter difference, does Garrett have accommodation for tire
diameter in his chip? How about Nospeed?
No he doesn't, neither does NS.  Actually, a larger wheel will help reduce the amount of mileage you actually put on the odometer...for instance, if you actually drive 300 miles, it may only show up as 291.

Good luck,
/alf/