Re: Help wanted with wheel woes (long)

Hey Bruce,

I feel your pain. Running 215-40-16's you have about a 1.3% speedo error.
(205-45-16 is the generally accepted +1 size)

I too am running 40 series tires (205-40-16 on OZ Monte Carlos, got them
with the rims) on a stock GL suspension. While the handling has improved
markedly, they are taking a beating on NYC streets. I'm in constant fear
of bending them and my cd changer is skipping rather often.

I wonder if the OZ wheels are soft and are prone to bending, anyone know?
(I hope not)

A Sport Suspension may make matters worse. A shorter stiffer spring while
not allowing the car to bottom out as much will not give much and the
wheel and tire will absorb more of the impact of a pothole. Coilovers
should be better in this respect.

If I don't manage to bend the 16's I'll go 205-45-16 next time for a bit
more of a cushion or ditch them in favor of 205-50-15's.

Let me know what you find out,
-Naresh

'95 Jetta GL- Black

ps:  http://mr2.com/FORMS/tire.html is the calculator that I use.