Re: 60K service - what's done?

Hmm. let's see...

- change the oil and filter and check for oil leaks
- replace the air filter and clean/remove the pre-screen
- replace the spark plugs and check the wires
- check and top up the washer fluid
- check and top up the coolant and check the hoses
- turn down the stereo because the neighbors are getting pissed off
- check and top up the power steering fluid (only use the VW stuff)
- change the brake fluid (supposed to be done every two years)
- have a look at the brake pads
- have a look at the boots on the cv joints, steering rack, tie rod ends,
and ball joints
- have a look at your pee pee while you take a mean squirt from all the beer
you've been drinking while doing all this work
- check tire pressure and condition (including the spare), rotate if
necessary
- remove your wheel locks and replace them with regular bolts
- check the serpentine belt
- lube the hinges, locks, and check straps
- check all the bulbs
- clean up, put everything away, get washed up, and then go out cruisin' for
chicks (if you are sober)
- if you have/had a 'check engine' light, you might want to take it in to
retrieve/clear the codes

That's what I can think of.  This stuff should be done every 30k up to the
'96 MY and every 40k from '97 on.  Don't know why there's a difference being
that the parts are virtually the same for all the cars.

-Chris