Transmission (problem with reverse)

Hello, my car is damaged and I hope some of the people these lists will have some
insight for me.  I have a 1998 2.0L Golf.  This morning I noticed for the first
time that in reverse there is a clicking noise.  The noise is rhythmic and
related to tire speed, not engine speed.  It is faster than the tire revolution,
something like 5 clicks every 2 turns of the tires.  Coasting backward in neutral
there is no noise, coasting with the clutch in but in reverse the noise is
there.  All five forward speeds are normal.

Here are my questions:

1.  Any ideas of what it might be?

2.  Car is still under warrantee.  Any thoughts about how to get best service
from dealer/VW?

3.  Any hope of getting VW to pay for loaner/rental car if my car is laid up a
while?

4.  Why me?

Justin