How to "rekey" keyless remotes on 1998 GLX

GLXers:

What follows is the method for "rekeying" a keyless remote antitheft
system in a 1998 Jetta GLX.  This method should work for late model
A3's with OEM security systems.  The method may also work with NBs
and Passats of the '98-on variety, but the transmitters are
different:

A3 OEM (e.g. Jetta GLX) Transmitters have the marking:
    FCC ID: M3GHU01WT
    CLARION

NB/Passat OEM Transmitters have the marking:
    CANADA: 2694 102 338
    FCC ID: NB6 730956 1
    HELLA: 5FA 007 785-00

Both of these transmitters look identical: the vaguely key shaped
fob.  The CLARION transmitters will work with the A3 system, but the
HELLAs will not.  Geez, I guess that a remote key transmitter does
not a platform make, but so much for the Ferdinand Piech philosophy
of "platform sharing".  But I digress.

Method:

1) Put key into ignition and turn on ("La Cucaracha" / "A Hunting We
Will Go" chime sounds).

2) Close all doors, hood and trunk.

3) Put second key into driver's door and hold in the "unlock"
position for about 10 seconds.  The security horn should beep thrice
quickly to indicate that it is in programming mode.  Don't bother to
remove the key -- you'll be using it again soon.

4a) Push "unlock"/"disarm" button on first remote.  The security
horn will beep once quickly.

4b) Push "unlock"/"disarm" button on second remote.  The security
horn will beep twice quickly.

4*) Continue for up to 4 total remotes.  If you have more than 2
remotes, please report to this forum regarding how many times the
systems beeps.

5) Hold key in driver's door in the "unlock" position for about 10
seconds.  The security horn should beep thrice quickly to indicate
that it is no longer in programming mode.

All programming must be completed within a minute from putting the
system into programming mode.

And as been reported here earlier, the range on this system does
indeed suck.  I believe that a solution may be to put a better
antenna on the central receiving unit, which I may investigate if I
find myself with altogether too much time on my hands.

Best regards,
--
Willie Anderson