RE: [gti-vr6] Opinions on Yokohama A032r's...

I'll second that.  I've personally had no experience with the A032's, but I
don't know of any SCCA people in my division who are running them.  Also, I
don't recall hearing of anyone at the Runoffs running them, but I could be
wrong.

I'm switching from R1's to Kumhos myself because they are supposed to have the
same grip as R1s with longer tread life.  Also, they cost less, & Kumho has a
very aggressive contingency program in SCCA (i.e. they are paying out much
more in contingency money than BFG is).

I will be able to tell you how much I like them for sure after my next race
(July 24th & 25th).  I bought mine at full tread depth (7/32), but I've heard
that it is best to have them shaved to 4/32.  It's been stated that shaving
them is not supposed to affect tire life, but that is something I have trouble
accepting.  I figure if I don't like them at full tread depth, I'll buy a
shaved set, & use the ones I have now as rain tires.

Another alternative that you may want to look at is Toyo.  They make a
competition tire that a couple of my friends have tried, & they were very
happy with them.  They told me that the Toyos offer about the same grip & life
as the Kumhos.  In fact, they may have a longer tread life than the Kumhos.
However, the Toyos cost a little more, & they have no SCCA contingency program
that I am aware of.  Also, my friendly neighborhood Discount Tire dealer can
get Kumhos; so I don't have to put up mail ordering (I generally try to avoid
mail ordering anything simply because the UPS guy in my area is an idiot).
Therefore, I'm going with Kumhos.

Good luck!

Michael Keith
Pasadena, TX
'98 Jetta GLX
'85 Golf SCCA ITB
>===== Original Message From David Shreve <jettaglx@igtc.com> =====
>Look into Kumho V700 Victoracers.  They have about the same grip level as
>the old R1 with better longevity.  You will find the A032R's are more like
>an ultra-high performance street tire than a true R tire.
>
>-dave
>
>On Tue, 29 Jun 1999 JSEVW@aol.com wrote:
>
>> dead and it is time to upgrade...  What is the opinion of the yoko's
>> A032R's...  they a a road race compound so they will be a little harder I
>> figure, but will last hopefully two seasons..  I have had R-1's before and
>> loved them, but good luck getting them these  day plus they are $$$...
Any