From: owner-gti-vr6@ccsi.com [mailto:owner-gti-vr6@ccsi.com]On Behalf Of
geoffrey elliott
Sent: Monday, June 28, 1999 1:08 PM
To: jettaglx@igtc.com; gti-vr6@cobra.ccsi.com
Subject: [gti-vr6] Re: Bose system

Longish....

I've been dealing with the same sort of thing...

The shops near me said it couldn't be done, so I went
and bought the panasonic changer for the deck and
have been living with it since then.

About a week ago, I finally decided all these listers
couldn't be wrong so I went to a decent car-audio
shop and talked to a tech about it.  This is what he
said the options were:

1.  I can wire the positive terminals from the new deck
to the negative on the Bose amp.  He said this would
work, but would eventually overload the Bose amp (so
the sound would distort at high/med volumes).  He
said it would be louder than factory but precise volume
control would be lost leaving me with "quiet and LOUD"
and not much in between.

2. I can get some device that takes the amped output
from the deck and reduces it to a line-level signal and
send that to the Bose amp.  That wouldn't overload the
amp and would give me good dynamic volume control.
Sound quality would suck though because everything
would sound like a cassette tape.

3. I can replace the whole system.

At this point I told him option #3 was out of the question.
I had a CD changer so option #2 was going to lower
sound quality.  He was loath to go with option #1 and
would rather lose the sale to some other shop then send
me down the wrong road.  If I *really* want to do that,
he'd do it for me and do his best to get the best quality
he could.

I tend to trust the guy.  I'd love to hear what people who
have done #1 with the Bose system honestly think.  How
is volume control?  Does it distort at high/med volumes?
etc. etc. etc.

- geO