From: posaune [mailto:llopez05@snet.net]
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 1999 5:47 PM
To: jettaglx@igtc.com
Subject: Re: Tire Question

Karp, Steve wrote:

I have a tire-related question for you all...the other day, I hit a pretty big pothole at around 45 mph ... other than that aweful crunching noise, it din't seem to cause any problems ... no shaking, pulling or bent rim ... went out this morning and noticed a small lump on the outside sidewall of the tire that hit the pothole...how serious is this?

I'm assuming some type of internal damage occurred...

Thanks,
Steve
98 GLX

Yup, I've seen/heard of people driving on tires with that sort of damage for a long time, but if I were you, I'd replace them as soon as possible -- especially if you do any hard driving -- there is a lot of stress on the sidewalls of the front tires in corners (I assume its the front).

FWIW, my dad did the same thing a few weeks ago on Pirelli P700Z's and stock wheels on his GLX (both fronts).  He ordered new ones the same day (and he doesn't drive all that hard).

If you're still running the stock GA's, use this as an excuse to get rid of them!  Or, if you *really* want to keep them for some reason, ask around -- there are always listmembers trying to get rid of them for next to nothing.

-erik
'97 Jetta GLX
'83 Rabbit GTI