RE: Programming Remotes (was VW TEChnical Site)

i just sent this out the other day on the gti-vr6 list.

Ok, so if yer like me, you've got lots of extra remotes hanging around from
your previous VWs and you're wondering if you can use them.  Yuppers.  If
you saw my previous message about cool service guy, well, here's a tidbit he
told me this morning...

Put a master key in the ignition and turn it on (don't start the car).
Hop out of the car and close the door.
Put the other master key in the door and hold it on unlock until it beeps
three times.
Let the key go back to the normal position but don't pull it out.
Press Lock on each remote you want to use with your car (up to four!).
It will beep after each click.
Put move the key back to the unlock position until it beeps again.
Remove the key from the lock
Turn off the car and remove that key from the ignition.

All of your remotes (up to four) should now work with the car.

The only caveat is that each remote needs to be the same brand / part
number.  I guess I lucked out because all of mine are Clarion.  I'm going to
check to see if an after market remote from another Clarion kit will work
with mine (I don't particularly care for the VW "fob")

8)

- geO