Re: Re: Bars ??

In a message dated 7/13/99, 10:48:37 PM, jettaglx@igtc.com writes:
<<One cool thing about the Jetta is that it has an integrated rear stress
bar. If you open your trunk and look at the underside of the rear deck
you'll notice that it's actually a big, metal plate under there, painted
the same colour as your car. That big, metal plate is connected to the
tops of the rear strut towers (where your shocks and springs are
secured), essentially forming a stress bar. That's the basic idea,
anyhow. Jettas have always had this piece, while the trunkless Golfs and
Rabbits do not. Some folks add rear stress bars to their Jettas anyhow,
but it's certainly not necessary.
   Hope this helps.
-T>>

This is true, However i recently added a Rear Stress Bar back there, and i
could not believe the increase in stiffness it added to my Jetta when
cornering.  I was always told i didn't need one when a buddy told me about
adding one to his.  I am now glad i didn't listen to the other people that
said not to add on, because it was a very noticable improvement.

Jeff