Re: chip

Charlie,
   Prepare for the onslot of messages.    The chip Definatly makes a
difference.   It will give you a noticeable power difference, remove the
speed limiter and raise your rev limiter (this varies between manufacturers
as to were they raise it) I noticed an increase in gas mileage as well.
   There are about 5 companies that make chips but the main two that you
will find on the list are the N-speed P-chip and the Garret chip.  Alot of
people lean towards the Garret chip, in fact that is what most people will
recommend.   I originally started with the N-speed and am getting ready to
switch to the Garret.   The Garret chip is upgradable  and upgrades are
about 20 bucks.   On the VR6's he is up to v11 and makes upgrades for cams,
throttle bodies and can pretty much customize a chip just for your car.
   As far as the warranty goes VWOA has to prove that the modification
coused the damage to void the warranty.

   I think the Garret web page is www.giacusa.com if thats not it there
should be a link on AWE web page www.awe-tuning.com the Garret chip runs
about 125 dollars and the N-speed is about a 100.   also check the archives
http://www.panix.com/~aqn/GTI_VR6/gti_vr6_list/   login driver, password
hired
http://www.listquest.com/hobbies/automobiles/

   Best of luck
Brian
98 GLX soon to be Garretized and P-chip sold.

alright everyone, whats up with chips, do they realy make a diff, opinions
please, what kind do you have, do thye void warranies i have 16000 miles)
what kinddo i get and seriously will i notice diff, how much are they and
what do they do to gas mileage
thanks
charlie
98 glx, white beiber beige