Superbowl Cruise Highlights.....(long)

Best & Worst of Superbowl Cruise '99
1) 60 cars!!!! (VERY VERY GOOD)
2) Really cold weather. (BAD FOR PEOPLE, GREAT FOR CARS)
3) Greg Coe getting pulled over by an undercover cop in a Camaro Z28 while
doing 115mph on the way to the cruise. (VERY BAD, BUT DIDN'T GET A TICKET)
4) Michele (VWK2GIRL) getting pulled over for a bow on her rear-view mirror
on the way to the cruise. (BAD)
5a) Nobody got any tickets during the day. (VERY GOOD)
5b) People in the back of the convoy trying to catch up to everyone by doing
100mph+ and taking up 3 lanes. (VERY BAD)
5c) I (FlyinVR6), as the leader of the convoy, never exceeded 55mph until
the last 10 minutes where I was attempting to catch up to others who decided
to pull away. (GOOD)
6a) No accidents during the day. (VERY VERY GOOD)
6b) The President of Unorthodox Tuning almost causing an accident on a busy
3 lane expressway by coming to a dead stop in the right lane in order to
tell me that I (along with 30 other cars at the time) should not be stopped
on the 15 foot wide shoulder. This conversation was held with the sound of
beeping horns and screeching tires in the background. (VERY BAD)
7) Nobody got lost for more than 2 minutes during the day. (VERY GOOD)
8) The BK manager yelling at us (actually me) for VW's screaming through a
crowded parking lot. (VERY BAD)
9) The crew that R.A.P. Tuning brought with them that did the screaming
through the crowded BK parking lot. (VERY BAD)
10) The group picture. (VERY VERY GOOD)
11) The Donaldsons VW pitstop. (AWESOME!)
12) Mulcahys. (VERY VERY GOOD)
13) Wally Green who offered his legal services by putting together the
Cruise waiver that drivers signed at the beginning of the day. (VERY VERY
VERY GOOD)
14) The tremendous amount of aftermarket work that everyone had to show off.
(AWESOME!)
15a) Car that turned heads.....RAP Tuning's VR6 Cabrio w/ custom paint job &
body kit. (GOOD)
15b) Best new mod for sale......Unorthodox Tunings underdrive crank pulley.
(VERY GOOD)
16) Best effort coming to cruise.......A3JettaGL who drove from Virginia.
(VERY VERY GOOD)
17) Cars from VA, PA, RI, CT, NJ & NY. (VERY VERY GOOD)
18) Possibilities of having a future VW exclusive car show on Long
Island.......(VERY VERY GOOD)
19) The amount of people who stayed in touch through walkie-talkies today.
(approx. 25 people) (VERY GOOD)
20) Amount of car clubs and tuning shops represented at the cruise. (VERY
VERY VERY GOOD)
21) New ClubH2O subscribers. (GOOD)
22) Looking in my rearview mirror to see a caravan of VW's approx. 3/4 mile
long. (AWESOME!)
23) Everyone had a good day and was very appreciative.......turned out to be
a great time. (VERY GOOD)
Basically, a cruise of this size is a first-time experience for any car club
rep that I know of. It was a definite learning experience for myself and
everyone involved with the cruise. Luckily the positives outweighed the
negatives by a large margin. Everyone was really pleasant to talk to and the
stories that were exchanged regarding their cars was well worth listening to
because it was easy to pick up a pointer from everyone. Simply put, the
larger the cruise, the greater the chance of things not going 100% as
planned. You are also limited as far as cruise routes. But the smaller the
group, the less risk and the more diverse one can be in choosing a route
that doesn't have to be concerned with traffic signals as much. This was an
extremely large cruise, and considering that point, everything went
relatively smooth and I'm glad everyone left with a smile on their face.
This event was a definite sign that Long Island can cater a larger, annual
VW exclusive show. I hope that ClubH2O can work an event of this nature into
it's calendar very soon. I know I'll be trying my hardest to get it done in
time for this summer.
TWO last favors to ask of people who attended the cruise.......
1) Call Donaldsons VW and thank them for letting us use their premises as a
pitstop. 516 567 6400.....ask for John Donaldson and mention it is in regard
to the ClubH2O cruise.
2) Call Mulcahys and thank them for accommodating us early......516 783 1838
ask for Mike Jr. and mention it is in regard to the ClubH2O cruise.
Thanx again to everyone, and I appreciate all the support.
take care,
-FlyinVR6
ICQ : 8994103
AIM : SwiftVR6