oil leak detection

 We purchased a leak detection tool which uses a dye and a black light. The
dye can be used in the engine,cooling system or a/c system. After a period
of time the suspected area is checked with a black light and if the a leak
is present the dye will show up under the black light.  The tool really
came in handy on a new Boxster. This repair involved a oil leak. Our
Porsche tech pulled the trans and replaced the rear main seal. The customer
took the car only to return it several days later with the same leak. The
seal was replaced again. Strange we couldn't find anything  out of normal.
However we did notice a mark in the aluminum. This time we decided to use
the dye. The car was kept and driven over night. The following morning we
checked with the black light and sure enough there was a green glow coming
from between the engine and transmission. The transmission was pulled and
using the black light we saw where the leak began. It was from the mark in
the engine case. Porsche replaced the complete engine and the car has been
returned to the customer and so far not been back.

Yesterday we had a 98 B5 V6 with a oil leak.  Now the first thing we do is
to put the dye in the oil and have the customer drive the car.  I don't
know how many dealerships/repair shops have this tool but it is worth its
weight in gold.  I can't wait until summer time and use it to find a freon
leak. For some reason R134 is very hard to detect with leak detection tools.

By the way Gregs GTI might need a oil cooler replacement. His car is now
our test bed. I put some dye in his oil and next week I will check to see
if the coolant shows signs of the dye. More later after I check.

Don