Getting into the air filter... (and a tidbit re: seatbelt chime)

Hey there-

About six months ago, I got my K&N Filter installed, but it's been a few
months since my dealer has done a lube/air/oil change on my car, so I'm
kind of curious what I've accumulated in my snow filter and air filter, and
was interested in figuring out how to do this maintenance myself.

But, after popping the hood, I couldn't quite figure out how to get into
the air filter, and being a little green under the hood, I didn't want to
push anything.

Does anyone have any simple instructions that I can refer to? What about
instructions on the best way to clean out my K&N? I suppose it might soon
be time to get a Bentley manual that I hadn't been interested in until now!

Thanks,

-Khan

P.S. If the "La Cucaracha" three tone "buckle your seatbelt, bonehead" tone
gets on your nerves, it's quite easy to mute the tone so it's not quite as
offensive. The way to do this is the following:
1. Try to get under the steering wheel so you're looking up towards the top
of your car, but under the footwell of the drivers seat.
2. In this area, is a little trap door, that gets you into the electrical
relay location. Along the bottom are a couple dozen fuses. Leave them
alone. Above them, there are relays, that are a little smaller than 1 inch
square wide, and vary in depth between an inch and an inch and a half. Find
the longest one, and verify with your finger, that on the end of it, that
there is a grate. This is the speaker grate.
3. With a flashlight, inspect the relay, and make sure you have a good
understanding of how the relay goes back in. (I noticed a number, like "68"
on the bottom of the relay, and made a note about how the relay was
oriented by this number to make it easy to get the relay back in) It's a
tight fit, and it helps to understand exactly how the relay goes back in
its slot when you're done.
4. Gradually and gently ease out the relay, until it is free, and work it
out of the trap door. Yes, it's pretty cramped quarters in there, so be
patient.
5. Now, find some electrical tape, and tape over the end of the grate so
that you significantly reduce the ability for air (and the sound) to escape
from the grate.
6. Now put the relay gently back into place, being careful not to dislodge
any of the other relays, and making sure that this one is firmly seated.
Close the trap door, and start her up! You will notice a very significant
muting of the chimes, and will have the satisfaction of being reminded,
every time you get in the car, that you have done a simple and functional
modification on your baby Jetta. If you want some SEVERE muting, you might
try two layers of tape. Oh yeah, ALWAYS buckle up. We wouldn't want to
injure your Jetta with our thick skulls!  :)